Monday, January 12, 2009

yesterday's sermon

I enjoyed yesterday. Just the simple basic stuff of the Christian faith. It is a safe and comfortable thing anytime I can preach the basic stuff. It is good stuff and it's stuff that we all need to hear.

Contrast yesterday with when I have to talk with the congregation about needing a new parking lot, or the need to support a particular program. Sermons about sacrifice. Sermons about missions and taking up the cross. Making room for others, reaching people. Fulfilling our potential. All of those kinds of sermons make me nervous, because I know that there are people that don't like to hear them. I know I shouldn't worry about that, but I do, I just don't like making people unhappy.

So, yesterday was fun, yesterday was good. And by the way, we do need to build a parking lot.

It's a beautiful day in God's world, be sure to see the good.

1 comment:

Dave Templeman said...

8:45 Sunday - I park in a spot by the recycling bins. There is already a car next to me and several cars out in the "back 40". 10:25 Sunday - Jim gives us a ride on the shuttle in a full parking lot to my car. We need a new parking lot. Sermons about taking up Christ's cross, about sacrifice, about fulfilling our potential are as important (if not more important) than the basic stuff. Some of us may not like to hear them, but we NEED to hear them. God is calling us to follow Him, we need to listen.

DT