Saturday, April 24, 2010

accountability

Someone asked that I write about accountability. Probably since I write too much about grace, welcome and acceptance. They are right. Balance is important. Most of life's issues are not either/or but both/and.

Accountability. It is the voice of God that calls you to himself. It is listening in prayer instead of doing what you want. It is giving up your preference or personal comfort for the sake of the mission. It is doing the right when you don't want to. It is getting up and going to work day after day. It is following the home owners association rules. it is keeping in mind the 10 commandments. It is learning to share God's love.

Usually a person cannot do all of this by themselves, so it is important to have those who help hold you accountable. A spouse, a friend, a small group. Someone that you can be totally honest with. Someone that helps you take that fearless moral inventory. Someone that instills in you the desire to be more than you are.

I have a wife that is brutally honest with me. I have a counselor, and a ministry coach. I have 3 layers of bosses. I am in a covenant group with other ministers. I have a few minister friends that I meet regularly with. I have a mentor. Through all of this, God loves us and graciously calls us toward himself.

Accountability is the pursuit of God, and the resistance to our desires so that we can follow him. It is the not my will, but thine be done.

It's a beautiful day in God's world, be sure to see the good.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Profound. Thanks.

Anonymous said...

Ditto to the "profound" comment! Thanks for answering my request! :) kb