Friday, April 30, 2010

I know of a man

I know of a man who gave away his watch the other day. He was coming out of a McDonalds and a young worker on break asked for the time. The man looked at his watch and told the employee the time. As he got into his car, he had a distinct impression to give the young man his watch.

He struggled with the thought. No, he did not want to. But it was only a $30 watch. What if the feeling was from God? He drove around the McDonalds a couple of times trying to figure out what to do. Finally he pulled up next to the young man. He offered the watch. An enormous smile appeared on the face of the McDonalds employee. He accepted the watch as if it were the greatest gift he had ever received.

The person who told me this story, told me that the greatest gift that day was not the receipt of a watch, but the receipt of the joy that he felt when he gave it.

Reader, you probably know this, but we go to church with some pretty cool people.

It's a beautiful day in God's world, be sure to see the good.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I really like that guy, and I have no idea who it is! Funny thing though - there are quite a few people that I've gotten to know at our church who would do this. I might be looking to see if any of them are sporting a new watch.

Sharon said...

That is so cool. I love stories like this. Much better than bunny murdering dog stories (hint, hint)

I agree with your comment about the "pretty cool" people at our church, but I'd go a bit further and say that they're AWESOME!

Thanks for sharing the story and reminding us that it is "better to give than to receive". Giving is actually a gift to our own souls.