Tuesday, June 29, 2010

as if

If you were in service on Sunday, you have already heard this. I repeat myself simply because I have heard from a few that struggle with guilt.

Do you feel guilty about loving or enjoying things in your life? One of the problems with inappropriate guilt is that if you follow it to it's logical conclusion, we should all get rid of everything we love and sit in church with nothing. Then we can pray this prayer,

"ok, God, here I am, I gave away everything I love, I have nothing left in life that I enjoy. I am here for you now. I am not very happy, but I am here for you with nothing."

Do you think that is what God wants? I don't. I think that God wants us to thank him for the things that we enjoy and to thank him for the feelings that those things give to us. When we acknowledge him in these things, our relationship with them changes and they become things that we know have come from God.

Yes, we should be good stewards. Yes we should give back and give sacrificially. But, once we understand that we are only enjoying what God has allowed us to have, once we put those things into his hands, they should be enjoyed. Guilt free. Grousing Christians do not bring glory to God.

Life is good. Celebrate it.

It's a beautiful day in God's world, be sure to see the good.

3 comments:

Sharon said...

Whew! You had me kind of worried. I was getting ready to leave town for the day and you hadn't posted your blog. It's like coffee, I have to have it in the morning to start my day. Luckily I checked one more time before I left--otherwise my day would not have been the same--good or bad, it would not have been the same.

And I liked your topic. I know I have things that I do not need, but I don't love them--they're just things and I could give most of them away with no problem.

I couldn't give up my family, friends or church, but everything else is just stuff--I'm thankful for it and I enjoy it, but it's just stuff.

Life is what I love the most and I don't feel guilty about that because I know God gave it to me. I'll give it back to Him when it's time and I will thank Him and say, "It was good".

Anonymous said...

Jeff Brinkman . . . good for our souls . . . love reading your blog every single day! Thank you for your insight into our worlds. kb

Anonymous said...

Really? I'd love to be enjoying life so much that I feel guilty and need to have my pastor reiterate permission. That's one of the FEW problems with our congregation. We talk about knowing that people are broken and hurt and that we need to reach out. But as soon as church is over, we need permission to enjoy their boat or round of golf? REALLY? I can't remember the last time we had the time/money/opportunity to do that. Something that the uber fortunate need to remember: sometimes it is hard for other members of the congregation to feel "worthy" of service or participation when they are busting their butts just to make the mortgage in very modest neighborhoods while others are figuring out how to enjoy their opulence in Lakewood. Don't get me wrong, I totally get this sermon and the need for it. I also need permission to not feel guilty when there is a chance to enjoy. But in these economic times, some in this congregation need to be grateful for their lot, and realize that many others among them are struggling with the pretense that they have the same lot. Or they aren't trying to keep up any pretenses but they just struggle working honest jobs trying to support their families. Or they've lost their jobs altogether. They'd love the opportunity to feel guilty for enjoying life, but it's hard when they are just treading water. And it's harder for them to reach out when the casual conversation is about lounging on the boat. They won't participate if they believe we can't relate. And there are more who are struggling than anyone realizes. You can't tell just by looking at them or their addresses.