Thursday, June 24, 2010

brokenness

Last night I sat with an angel. We talked about brokenness. About how everyone is broken in one way or another. Some pretend that they are not, but they are. We spoke of the sadness that comes into a life when people act like they are not broken, and the joy that can come into a person's life when they are honest about who they are.

We spoke of the gift that people that love can give to each other's brokenness.

A broken person sits at your table. They are expecting to be judged, ridiculed and rejected. But you give them something else. You welcome them. You hug them- for a bit longer than they expected. You cry with them. You acknowledge their stuff. Maybe we can't fix it, but we at least hear it and we welcome you and we love you.

This is the gift that one real person gives to another. It is the gift of love. It is the gift of Christ. It is a Jesus thing. Maybe it is the Jesus thing. Is there anything more holy than to love someone who was expecting to be rejected and thrown away? Look for someone like that today and when you find them, tell them that everything is ok. Tell them that they are accepted, that they matter to you. Hug them for just a little bit longer than they were expecting. Make your point. Make God's point.

It's a beautiful day in God's world, be sure to see the good.

3 comments:

H4EO said...

Maybe this IS the Jesus thing.

Maybe this IS what connects us and makes us Holy.

I Pray for this to be reflected in my life - maybe some day my family will see this from me.

I will try again to be more aware of those God has placed next to me.

H4EO said...

Maybe this IS the Jesus thing.

Maybe this IS what connects us and makes us Holy.

I Pray for this to be reflected in my life - maybe some day my family will see this from me.

I will try again to be more aware of those God has placed next to me.

Anonymous said...

I love this--"The Jesus thing" and God moments--they're all about love. Sometimes you have to cry out for them. And they don't always come right when you want them, but they're so worth it in the end.

I had a God moment recently and it has changed my life. I don't know that I was "broken", but I was kind of lost. And now I'm good--very good.

Sharing His love is such an awesome thing to do--the right thing to do.