Tuesday, June 1, 2010

new friends

Wow. where do I start with this? It is memorial day at 7pm and I am working in the church office catching up. I am the only one in the building, but I hear a pounding on the door. It comes and goes as if someone is trying to get into the building. Then I find them. A group of youngsters from the neighborhood that want a drink.

Can they come in and get a drink?
[I don't know any of them. Well maybe i have seen a few of them playing basketball a time or two.]
Can they come in? Sure of course.
I will show you where the fountain is....
We already know where the fountain is.....

So I follow 12 kids age 5-14 into the foyer to get a drink. The little ones want a cup. Then they want coffee. Then they want creamer. Pretty soon I am running a Christian coffee shop for the neighborhood kids.

I introduce myself. I am jeff, I am the pastor. If you ever need anything here, ask for me.
Should we call you Mr Jeff?
No, just jeff.

I went back to my office and let them enjoy the air conditioning in the foyer. Some of the little ones said that they liked this church and they wanted to come here. I told them to come anytime.

I found some hotwheel cars in my office [imagine that] and gave one to each of the kids. They seemed to like them [smart kids].

They decided it was time to leave and out the door they went with about ten cars, 5 styrofoam cups and a new friend.

It's a beautiful day in God's world, be sure to see the good.

8 comments:

H4EO said...

Very nice - that's a good days work. Thank you Lord

Anonymous said...

Heartwarming story of what surprises God comes up with in the day of one of His who chose to work on a holiday.

In the times we live in its sometimes scary to wonder if you'll become another story in the newspaper if you entertain strangers. But, perfect love casts out fear, and you helped those kids make good memories in their neighborhood.

Anonymous said...

Almost sounds like the good old days . . . in a small town with a little church on the corner, huh?? I like it! :)

Sharon said...

That is so cool. You are awesome!!

Anonymous said...

Wow! That's what it's all about....share God's love. When you put it like this, it doesn't seem so scary.

Simply awesome.

Anonymous said...

Beautiful opportunity! Happy! Thank you for being open & thank you for sharing with us!

Anonymous said...

Thank you for being this kind of pastor. No, scratch that. Thank you for being this kind of person.

--Brian Swanson

Anonymous said...

amazingly rich with symbolism don't you think? 'And whosoever shall give to drink unto one of these little ones a cup of cold water only in the name of a disciple, verily I say unto you, he shall in no wise lose his reward'
Someday, perhaps because of this one kindness they will drink from the well that never runs dry. You just never know how one simple act can change a life.