Sunday, June 27, 2010

cats in the cradle

Last night my daughter came home from work at 9pm. I was in the middle of a movie. In for the night, relaxing. "Dad, take me for a motorcycle ride," she says.

"Ah. Um. Hey, I am right in the middle of this movie. How about tomorrow night," says Dad. Jenny says, "ok" and heads up to her room.

Then it happens to me. The voice of the preacher in my head. The voice of Harry Chapin singing about how his kid wanted to spend time with him, but he was too busy. I pause the movie and call to her. She bounds down the stairs joyfully.

Off we go, into the night. It's a ride down memory lane. Past the parsonage, past the house that we lived in for a few years after that that I told her mother was not going to work for us, past the old church, her grade school [she commented that she was able to remember the Chapel Lakes fight song], past her middle school, then around the new church and home.

Last night a memory was made. Not so much a memory of a ride, but a memory of a time when Dad said to child, "you matter more." I finished the movie and went to bed, pleased that I had made the right decision.

It's a beautiful day in God's world, be sure to see the good.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Way to go! You are a good dad.

Anonymous said...

i vascilate between being too busy and worrying that i'm teaching them that the world revolves around them...very fine line...

you made the right choice for this scenario. good job dad!