Tuesday, March 8, 2011

basketball tournament

This week is the big 12 tournament. Many great things have happened around our house during tournament time.

In 1991, Scott was born the Sunday night of the final game. We barely got to the hospital in time because my wife would not leave the TV until the game was over.

Over the years we have enjoyed watching the games and rooting for our teams. Our house has both MU Tiger fans and KU Jayhawk fans. And then they have me. Mr. Neutral. Mr. Lets all get along. It's a fun time.

Last night, as the excitement for the tournament begins to heat up, I am delivered a surprise challenge to the court. My oldest has decided that it is time for the old man to take back to the court. I am pooped, but I recognize the importance of the invitation and rise to the challenge.

We began with around the world. I was surprised at how good she was and how bad I have become. Shoulder surgery, knee surgery, cataract surgery and about 30 years has taken it's toll on my once NCAA stature abilities on the court. It had to be the world's longest game of around the world, but I finally pulled it out. With that momentum under my belt, it was on to a game of pig.

My short little granny shots made quick work of her. I finisher her off with the back to the basket over the head shot. PIG. Not having had enough, she wanted to stretch it out to piglet, which we did, with the same result.

Time spent with your children is so valuable, even if you need to take a nap when the game is over.

It's a beautiful day in God's world, be sure to see the good.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love it. Thanks for sharing these treasured family moments with others. Fun.

Anonymous said...

Very Very cool. There are nothing better than moments like that with your dad. The Granny shots have been passed down from father to sons who become fathers to sons for decades. Thanks to all of our dads who played catch with us or a game of horse even though they were tired. They got it. Now we do. What we all would do just for one more time for a few special minutes with Dad. Rock on! TW

Anonymous said...

Love this!!!!!!

Unknown said...

Maybe you need a few trick shots. I'm the king of those. Win or lose, it's great to spend time with the kids. I have great memories with my dad of friendly competition. We had a great time in the basement playing ping pong.

Cherish the times.

Mark