Friday, March 18, 2011

a walk

Yesterday I did something I have wanted to do for 20 years. Not far from where my wife and I live is her family's farm. Years ago her grandfather stumbled upon some rock outcroppings that had symbols etched into them. He took photos and sent them to a person who was an expert in the field of ancient writings. A site visit confirmed that the writings were Norse (Viking). I had heard the stories and seen the pictures, but I had never made the trek to see "it" for myself. So yesterday my wife and son and I took a hike. My wife had been there numerous times as a child but finding her way again was a challenge. A cell phone call to her father (who still resides on the property) enabled us to find our way through the woods, over a couple creeks, up and down some hills, down an abandoned railway bed, left, right, right, left, and we were there......

I don't know for sure when these rocks were first visited, maybe as early as 900 AD, but to think of the journey these Viking men made is amazing to me. Yes they were explorers, but it had to have come with a sacrifice. They probably left behind friends and loved ones for this greater good. They probably had friends and people they cared for with them on the journey, too. They were seeking knowledge and although they were probably well suited for the job my guess is they were tested along the way. How the journey ended and where it ended is unknown, but I am sure it was awesome.

Peace.
Lion's Den Man

No comments: