Tuesday, March 15, 2011

washers

My daughter has been bothering me about building a washers set. If you are not familiar with washers, it is a game played much like horseshoes. You build these 16"x16" boxes and throw big washers into them.

Last night when I got home I was threatened. Make the boxes or else. So, we went to Lowes and bought the materials. $20 exactly. I had to pay. [go figure] Whose washer set is this? Who wants them so bad?

We got home and started work. I was not even allowed time to eat until they were finished. Saw, saw saw. put in the screws. Cut the carpet. Bolt in the pipe. There its done. I am going in the house.

No. Dad, you cannot go in. We have to play. So, in the almost dark of last night, a 53 year old man squared off with a 23 year old for a game of washers. There was much pre game banter, and a good amount of cynical dogging. Old man jokes, young pup jokes.

The game began, the game waned, the game ended. Sorry to say, I lost to the energy of youth 11-9. don't tell her that I let her win or she will wake me up from a nap and make me play again.

It's a beautiful day in God's world, be sure to see the good.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Priceless!! (oh well, except for the $20.)

Sharon said...

LOL You make me smile. That's a fun game. I beat my 40 something son-in-law at it. Senior citizens rule! ; )

Anonymous said...

These are the moments. I'm so thankful for the fun you and this daughter have, riding your motorcycle on warm summer nights, and playing washers, when there are small traces of snow left on the ground.

We wish you more smiles and fun with her, because someday in the future, I know one Dad who is going to be feeling lots of emotion when he walks his girl(s) down the aisle, and probably also performs the wedding ceremony. On very loving Dad will surely be all teared up when he gives his daughter(s) hand to another man.

Enjoy the times. God is good.

Anonymous said...

you did not let me win.

start practicing old man.

Anonymous said...

Go get 'em, Ali!!!
I'd like to buy tickets to the re-match! :D