Sunday, March 27, 2011

why is the church here?

As I listen to all of the banter lately in the church world, I have decided to weigh in.

First of all, I do believe in heaven and in hell. I believe that they are beyond our description, except that in heaven God is loved and worshiped, and in hell God is hated and selfishness abounds.

But here is the question. Why is the church here? Is the church here to judge others? Is the church here to tell people that they are going to hell? That God hates them? Do we really believe that? That sounds a lot like Fred Phelps to me.

I believe that the church is here to tell people about Jesus and his love. To tell the old old story. To explain to every person that we are all precious in God's sight.

As long as we remember that, and do that, it will never occur to us to tell someone that they are going to hell, because we will all be doing what we are supposed to be doing- showering the world with God's love,

It's a beautiful day in God's world, be sure to see the good.

5 comments:

Lion's Den Man said...

"The story goes that a public sinner was excommunicated and forbidden entry to the church. He took his woes to God....'They won't let me in Lord, because I am a sinner.' .....'What are you complaining about?, said God. They won't let me in either.'"

Anonymous said...

Good job Jeff.

Good job Lion;s Den Man.

Good job WCC Family, at showering so many people with love.

Anonymous said...

I think of a church also as a family. A place to come together for guidance and education. A place where others love you and teach you. Not only the pastors, but everyone involved. We need each other, as much as we need our parents to raise us, our siblings to play with, and to teach each other about right and wrong. We need the support to learn the scriptures, and know we are loved!
The Bible has MANY verses telling us to listen to His words!
"Come here and listen to the words of the Lord your God." Joshua 3:9
And our church is a good place to hear it, see it, feel it!

HesyCat said...

I wish there we're more churches like you describe. But then again, sometimes you have to point the finger at yourself and not others.

I hope Mr. Lion's Den Man doesn't mind I am stealing his story above. I love it.

Unknown said...

Jeff, I have to believe that there are both a Heaven and a Hell. If there is no Hell, what's the point of striving to reach Heaven. I also really like a comment I once heard (although I can't remember who said it), "There is only One qualified to judge you, and He never will".