Sunday, March 20, 2011

taking a stand

I have been thinking about something recently. For years I have commented on, and witnessed some things in the general church [across almost all denominations] that I have been opposed to. I guess I have felt that I could speak against such things from time to time, but that ultimately we would always have to live in their shadow. I felt a sense that there was nothing that I could do about such things. I figured that I had to learn to co-exist peacefully with those things which I found so distasteful.

Today, after some thought and prayer, I have now come to a different conclusion. There are some things that are taught by some in the general church that I can no longer tolerate. I have decided to speak up and to speak out and to call it what it is- false teaching. It is time for the church to shrug off the doctrines and practices of man and return to the ways of the spirit.

With these thoughts in mind, I hereby now and forever reject and stand to oppose the following:

1. The use of guilt by pastors or Christians to scare people to faith or manipulate believers.

2. The treatment of the Holy Scriptures in a way that has caused too many believers to worship the scriptures instead of the Loving God that they point to.

3. The practice of taking up one Scripture while ignoring others, which has led to many doctrines which are not balanced.

4. The judging and condemning of others. It must stop. This practice shares nothing with the heart of God.

5. The approach to the gospel and a relationship with God that implies that the Christian faith is in any way shape or form a means to financial gain.

6. The attitude of some that forces God into a box from which he can be controlled or reduced to a human level. We have too easily forgotten that all people fall to their knees and worship before the mystery of God.

7. The focus on the end of time to the point that we have forgotten our responsibility to live and love today, now, here on this earth as the hands and feet of our Lord.

Instead of the above, I offer the following:

1. The compelling love of God that is offered freely to all people.

2. The inspired Word of God that points us beyond the pages of the written word to the living God that saves us.

3. An invitation to those that would teach to review the totality of Scripture, the tone of Scripture and the sweeping evidence of the entirety of Scripture when considering their teachings.

4. Instead of judgement, Open hearts and open minds, exactly what Jesus gave to everyone that he met. A joyful welcome and acceptance.

5. We need to repent from any approach to the Christian faith that tries to make it about me. Christians are subservient to God, not in control of God. The joy of the Christian life comes in serving and loving him, from seeking his will rather than trying to make him do my will. I invite Christ- followers to be those who seek after the life and ways of Christ. Herein is the joy of Christian living.

6. I invite all people to come into relationship with the God of creation who is above all and in all and through all things. God is beyond us. His ways are higher, his thoughts are higher. We simply need to find a place to kneel and worship before him.

7. There are several competing pictures of the end of time in Scripture. One view or passage cannot be lifted up over another. Jesus said that we do not know the hour or the day. We are invited as Christians to live a life filled with love that is focused on today. As long as we are doing this, we will certainly be ready for Christ's return.

Just a few things that have been on my mind. If you want to have a cup of coffee to talk about any of these things, I welcome the discussion.

It's a beautiful day in God's world, be sure to see the good.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is why I am so blessed by your messages, week after week. What you shared is true to the spirit of everything you preach, everything you teach, everything you share, and most importantly how you live. This kind of consistency is such a great witness to those you shepherd and those you come in daily contact with. God and the Kingdom of God is so honored by what you shared.

Anonymous said...

Inspiring | Honest | True | Heartfelt . . . thank you . . . this makes so much sense.

Anonymous said...

Nice job Jeff. VERY well written.
B

H4EO said...

Thank you so much. I am grateful you are my pastor. You have hit on some of the ideas that I believe are holding Christians back from living as Christians.

Martin Luther would be proud. Nail it to the door.

H4EO said...

Thank you so much. I am grateful you are my pastor. You have hit on some of the ideas that I believe are holding Christians back from living as Christians.

Martin Luther would be proud. Nail it to the door.

Mac said...

Awesome Jeff...spot on!!