Tuesday, March 29, 2011

history

I have been reading some history lately. Funny thing I have noticed. When I read contemporary writers, those who are writing about today's issues or today's church, I want to talk. I want to tell. I want to explain what my thoughts are about what they are saying. I want to interface with the ideas of today. I want to be a part of the conversation, or more likely, the argument.

When I read history, something else happens. I stop talking. When I read history, I enter a world that I cannot control or effect. It is over. In history, I meet real people who struggled and dealt with everything that I am dealing with now. They have the same issues and the same problems.

When I read history, the problems and challenges of today sort of get swallowed up in the big picture of life. Things happen. Good and bad. Some are on one side, some are on the other. You can get all worked up about it, or you can relax and simply enjoy life. We don't do enough of enjoying life. How about I talk less and celebrate more? How about I get worked up a lot less and simply learn to savor life. We only come by this way once, and it goes by pretty fast. Let's live, laugh and love.

It's a beautiful day in God's world, be sure to see the good.

2 comments:

Sharon said...

I'm all about that! PLUS...I pray a lot for those that may be in a place where living, laughing and loving don't come so easily.

Anonymous said...

Sage advice. Thanks.