Friday, October 14, 2011

beyond guilt

And so there are these passages in Scripture where the apostle Paul rails against the works of the flesh.  Oh, my.  The voices of my parents and my pastors rail and wail and warn me of such behavior.  The voices are so heavy that some days, I don't like the apostle Paul. 

As I work on the sermon for Sunday, I have had a thought.  What if the purpose of these sections was never to be a hammer?  What if the focus should not be on the negative, but on the positive?  What if our grovelling in guilt and delivering guilt to others is simply another work of the flesh?

There has to be something else, something better, something joyful, something good.  God wants us to focus on Him, not on how bad we are.  Let me turn the sentence around, so our last thought is not about us.... as Christ followers we are invited to live beyond mere humanness and move towards a loving walk with our Father. 

How does that sound?

It's a beautiful day in God's world, be sure to see the good.

No comments: