Tuesday, October 11, 2011

On Mormons and Christians

Whether your feet are on the left side or the right side of the isle, [maybe you have one foot on either side], I found the discussion of the past weekend interesting.  Is a Mormon a Christian?  Does the Mormon church stand within the larger Christian family.  Being as we live in or near Independence, you can ask the same question of the  RLDS church.

Although I am not an expert on the subject, I did attend Mormon school for a year when I was a sophomore in high school.  It was a requirement of me dating a particular girl that I really liked. :-)

If you read about the history of the Mormon church, you cannot deny that they are newcomers to the Christian family.  But for that matter, so is the Assemblies of God and several other groups.  There are a number of things within Mormon doctrine that do not fit with classic Christianity.  One example of this is that they have other holy books: the book of Mormon, the Doctrine and Covenants, and the Pearl of Great Price.  So, there are some pretty big differences.

However, in my experience, I have learned that most followers of various churches, usually have little idea of some of the finer points of church doctrine.  I have met and come to know personally Mormons and Jehovah's witnesses who were certainly believers in Jesus as their savior.  We have a number of former members of the RLDS at our church and most of them considered themselves Christ followers before they came to WCC.

So should a Mormon be disqualified from being president?  Romney probably doesn't know every detail of Mormon teaching, and may not agree with it if he did know, anymore that Obama agreed with everything said by his former pastor.  Faith is a broad expanse, and it a very personal thing.  I think there is a time to say who is in and who is out, but I think we opt for that option way too often. 

{joke} In my world of doctrinal purity, I have set aside everyone except for me and you, and lately, I have been a little worried about you.  {still a joke}

We have had a number of Presidents that were not Christians.  We have had a number of Presidents that professed Christianity but did unchristian things.  It is the responsibility for the voters to decide, and you will have your chance to participate in that process.  I am glad to live in a country where the debate, and the voting, are open to all.

It's a beautiful day in God's world, be sure to see the good.

No comments: