Sunday, October 9, 2011

thoughts on my father

This past Monday, October 3rd would have been my father’s 84th birthday.  He died in 2002.  Dad was a good man.  He was quiet and he kept to himself.  He made sure that his kids were in church every Sunday.  And you did not want to get him upset or he might just invoke the name of God when calling your name.

He was an engineer for the Ford Motor Company for most of his adult life.  He had some trouble early on and late in life with drinking, but he was a very good man. 

He had a few old sayings.  One of his favorite was, “the right thing to do is the right thing to do, even when you are the only one doing it, and the wrong thing to do is the wrong thing to do, even if everyone is doing it.”

When your loved ones are gone, they are gone, and you miss them.  Enjoy them while you can.  In fact, if this post reminds you that you have not talked with them in a while, call them up.  Just tell them that you love them and appreciate them.

It’s a beautiful day in God’s world, be sure to see the good.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for posting this. I have a special light I look up to at WCUMC during your service that tells me my Dad is there with me.

My Dad too had familiar sayings, along with a few vices, and he was also a very good man. It has only been two and a half years for me but I miss him dearly every day.

He also enjoyed his visits to our church. Have a great week my friend. Thanks for all you do. TW.