Friday, October 7, 2011

it's not me

Jesus asked us not to worry.  It sounds good, but it is more difficult than it seems.  Worry seems to be right around the corner.  I worry about my kids, I worry about our church.  I worry about our staff.  I hope everyone is doing well and I so want it to be so.

Sometimes when someone acts out, I am mad, or I am frustrated, or I am drawn into this in some way.  And Jesus says, do not worry.

The only thing that I have found that helps me to break free from this vicious cycle is a line from Anthony Demello, who said, "it isn't you."  My kid acted up.  It isn't me.  Someone did something stupid.  It isn't me.  Someone is fighting.  It isn' me.

This is not a cruel detachment from others, but simply a reminder that I do not need to be drawn into everything in the world.  My kid striking out in baseball to end the game should not ruin my day.  It isn't me.  My kid dropped out of college- their choice, not mine.

we can choose to free ourselves from some of life's worries by just remembering that some problems belong to other people.  They are not ours to adopt or fix.

It's a beautiful day in God's world, be sure to see the good.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I feel for you, Jeff. The kid part is the toughest of all, when it comes to saying "it isn't me," because no matter how old our kids are, they usually always feel like a very real part of "me." There is just something about birthing a child that bonds them in a way no outsider can ever be a part of us.

Kids can't understand the pain of a parent, until they become a parent themselves. I think one thing that helps is to keep saying to ourselves what Paul said to the church at Phillipi. "I am confident that He who began a good work in you will complete it, to the day of Christ." As parents, you and Cathy began such a good work in this worrisome kid, when you birthed him into your home and hearts. And God began a good work in him, through responsible Christian parents. I hope God will assure you that He will complete the work He began. It's like that saying "please be patient with me. God isn't finished yet." Sometimes it takes so long, when the kid isn't ready to listen, learn, and grow up. But I know this kid will get there.

Anonymous said...

For a fleeting moment this morning, I thought of Willie Nelson's song, "You Are Always on My Mind," when I read your comments about how hard it is to keep the difficulties of others off your mind. So I read the lyrics of his song. I have to disagree with him that it is our job to keep someone else satisfied. Although we have a responsibility to be loving and caring in our relationships, we cannot make anyone else happy or satisfied. Only God can truly satisfy and help resolve the way others act out daily living.