Sunday, October 16, 2011

who is a saint

When I first heard the word, I figured that I would never know any saints in my life.  I figured that there are so few perfect people, I will never meet a saint.

Over the years I have learned a couple of things.  First of all, the saints are not that saintly.  Every one that I read about had doubts, sins, trials and trouble.  They were not saints because they were perfect, they were saints because of the way that they responded to life, and lived it out day by day.

The second thing that I would tell you that I have learned about saints, is that I am surrounded by them.  People that go the second mile.  People that turn the other cheek.  People that forgive what others think is unforgivable.  I have watched people love and love and love some more.  I have witnessed sacrifice, commitment and perseverance.

Although each of these people have problems, they qualify to be saints because their lives are not dominated by their problems.  Their problems are dominated by their desire to please God and do the right things, no matter what may come.

I you are reading this, you may be on my saint list.  If you say, "no not me."  Then you probably are.  God loves the humble, hardworking, gracious, forgiving, generous people.  It's ok to be a saint.  In fact, it is preferred.

I don't know about you, but I want to be in that number, when the saints go marching in.

It's a beautiful day in God's world, be sure to see the good.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You will march forth in that parade also, because you are one.

Anonymous said...

If your definition is correct, I vote you are one.

HesyCat said...

Todays post reminds of several instances in the life of St Anthony the great.(St. Anthony being the founder of what we call Christian Monasticism today.)

Anthony in his pride said to God, 'who in the world is greater then I?' To which God revealed to him 'that there was one in the city who was his equal. He was a doctor by profession, and whatever he had beyond his needs he gave to the poor and every day he sang the sanctus with the angels."

In another instance, it was revealed to Anthony, that he had yet come to the measure of a tanner (one who works with animal skins) living in the city of Alexndria. Anthony left the desert and found the tanner, to which the tanner replied "I am not aware that I have done anything good. When I get up in
the morning, before I sit down to work, I say that the whole of this city,small and great, will go into the Kingdom of God because of their good deeds. I repeat the same words and believe them in my heart."

What I think God was trying to reveal to St. Anthony is that anyone can live a saintly life regardless of their calling, class, status and profession. And those who are the saintly ones probably don't realize it.

(qoutes from Paradise of the Desert Fathers)