Saturday, October 15, 2011

why I don't like to fly

I don’t like to fly because I hate turbulence.  I don’t like to fly because there is always someone nearby that has a problem.  Their shower broke last year.  They can’t stop talking.  They fall asleep and snore.  They have a screaming child.

So here we are, all crammed onto this plane.  Six across, 30 rows deep.  180 people and there are only two bathrooms.  Whose idea is this?  And did I mention that it is a long way to the ground?

God did not intend us to fly.  If he did He would have given us wings.  Besides, flying is not scriptural.  Didn’t Jesus say, “low, I am with you always?”

It’s a beautiful day in God’s world, be sure to see the good.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are right about this. But you forgot to add that you also get to breathe in what everyone else has just breathed out, because planes have recirculated air (no fresh.)

The last flight I took was three hours long, and I actually closed my eyes the whole trip and pretended to be sleeping soundly, because everytime I even slightly opened them, the lady next to me immediately began sharing meaningless chatter and took no breaths in between sentences. Once in awhile you are seated next to someone on a plane, for whom you realize God put you there for His purposes, but most of the time flying is everything you just described.

And hey Jeff, somehow Cathy must have a lot of patience or resolve to put up with this full time, week in, week out. Kudos to Cathy.

Anonymous said...

And by the way, I loved the "low I am with you always." Reminded me to ask whether you've ever heard the airplane joke? Well have you? Oh never mind, it would be over your head.

And I'm saving a good one for you for March, 2012. Payback time for the old March Forth.