Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Celebrate God

You may know this about me, but too bad, here it is again.  I just can’t stop thinking about it recently.

I grew up in the church of duty.  Do right.  Serve God.  Do the right thing because it is what we must do.  Being a Christ follower centered around all of the oughts and shoulds.

When I was in seminary I met people who believed that being a Christian was about something different.  They thought we could and should all learn to celebrate God.  I thought they were crazy.  I argued with them.

Finally, I drank the cool-aid.  It is an uphill fight for my brain, but I am trying to live my life based on joy and celebration rather than duty.  It has been a long, slow change for me.  Now people that are living their life the way I used to, well they think I am crazy.

I was thinking about all of this the other day and I realized that it all goes by so quickly.  Life is so good, and so short.  I wish I would have learned about celebrating our life with the Lord when I was younger.  I wish it didn’t take so long to teach an old dog new tricks.

If you are reading this and you are still focusing mostly on being dutiful, I invite you to join the parade and get out there for the celebration.  Here are ways that you can do that-

1.     Rid yourself of inappropriate guilt
2.    Stop thinking about how bad you are
3.    Look at people.  Smile at them and say something nice.
4.    Take a long look at creation and thank the Creator.
5.    Find one thing to be thankful for every day.
6.    In every circumstance, practice seeing the good.

It’s a beautiful day in God’s world, be sure to see the good.

No comments: