Friday, November 18, 2011

my homeless friends

I have some homeless friends.  They don't come over to play cards.  We don't watch monday night football together.

We are friends because I did their wedding about ten years ago.  They keep calling the church.  That is ok.  Lots of homeless folks do.  They call once in a while.  Then I don't hear from them for a year.  Lately they are back.  They are living in a motel on 40 highway.  Initially they wanted food.  We took them food.  Then a few weeks later they wanted more food.  Imagine, homeless people that wanted more food.  Now they have a long list of things that they want.

Shoes, clothes, winter coat, belts, underwear, a double burner hot plate, coffee, tuna, bread, etc.

At first I was a little taken back by the list.  We can't help every homeless person this much.  Then something happened to me.  One morning I was leaving for work.  I turned off the $150 Keurig coffee pot in our kitchen.  I put my $200 blackberry into my pocket.  I locked my $300 schnauzer dog into his $40 kennel.  I went out and got into my 2005 Honda Civic.  I pushed the button on our automatic garage door opener.  The door closed on our 4 bedroom home in Oaks Ridge.

And I thought of the list of things that my homeless friends want.  I was cut to the core.  Convicted.  I am going to make sure that they get everything on the list.  Sure we can't help every homeless person this much, but I can sure help one couple.

It's an embarrasing day for me in God's world, be sure to look past your own comfort and see the least of these.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You have such a great heart for God and others, Jeff. God bless you for bearing you soul and thoughts, and in so-doing inspiring others in your congregation.

Anonymous said...

Now wait a minute. A Keurig coffee maker and a guy who walks into the church early in the morning and warms up coffee left in the coffee pot from the day or days before somehow just doesn't go together.

That Keurig must be for Cathy to enjoy her coffee.

Anonymous said...

I like it when God speaks to my pastor.