Wednesday, November 23, 2011

making amends

I just thought of this story and I wanted to share.  Years ago I had a pastor.  He was supposed to do my wedding.  My mother had heard some scuttle but at church about him taking money that wasn't for him.  Based on that, I released him from our wedding and got someone else to do it.

As the years went by I felt badly about this.  I wondered how it made him feel.  I wondered why I would do that based only on a rumor.  I decided to make amends.

A few years ago, I went to see him.  Retired and well aged, he still remembered the incident.  he was glad that I came over and very glad for my apology.  By the time I left his home, all was well.  I look back on this, and I am so glad that I went to see him.  He passed away last year, and if there were any regrets on his mind, at least none of them had to do with me.

When I lay my head down at night I want to have a clear conscience.  It helps so much with everything.  Is there someone that you might want to visit?  The person that forgives another, needs it as much as the one who is pardonded.

It's a beautiful day in God's world, be sure to see the good.

No comments: