Thursday, November 10, 2011

living simply

I recently spent 5 days living with Catholic Priests.  They take a vow of poverty.  We could learn alot from them.

Sometimes folks feel sorry for Priests because they cannot marry or have children, and I do feel bad on that account.  There is much joy in marriage and fatherhood.

However, on the other side of this is that the priests have few of life's distractions.  They do not own or maintain a home or a car.  They do not have a bank account.  They do not have to worry about paying bills or where the money will come from.  They have few worldly posessions to take up their time or to call for their attention.

Consequently, they are pretty consumed with the work of God.  They eat the same things every day.  Oatmeal for breakfast.  Soup and crackers for lunch.  random selections for dinner.

All of the things that we worry about, they don't.

Now, much of their life we cannot duplicate.  I am already married and have children.  I own a house and a car.

However, the invitation to live more simply speaks to me in a way that is quite compelling.  I want to ask myself some questions..... what can I do to rid my life of things that really don't matter?  What is it that consumes my time and energy that probably shouldn't?  Can I get rid of some of these things?  Can you?

When the board is out of our eye, we will be able to see more clearly.

It's a beautiful day in God's world, be sure to see the good.

1 comment:

Dave Templeman said...

Things that usually consume more time and energy than necessary:

Worry
Anger
Stuff

Things that never consume more time and energy than necessary:

Love
Compassion
Kindness