Monday, November 7, 2011

a comment about giving

In response to a post that I made last week about giving, a friend shared this email with me:

I'm going to tell you a little story about giving.  A long time ago, a friend and I used to sit and pay bills together at lunch time.  She had a very hard time making ends meet.  But she told me that she gives freely (not grudgingly) to her church.  She told me that this is the first check she writes and somehow God makes it all come together.

A few years ago, I was having my child go to Sylvan for tutoring (like paying college tuition).  His dad would not help me w/the expense so we were pretty strapped.  The kids were allowed to eat at McDonald's once a week, provided they order off the dollar menu and no pop.  Well, they rebelled against that on one particular night.  I told them that we needed to pay God and so we were only allowed so much at McD's.  They were saying that we shouldn't pay God so much money that they weren't allowed to get what they wanted from the menu.  I told them that Mommy wouldn't have a job, there would be no McDonald's, we would have nothing--without God.  So we pay Him first.

My point is that you are not "asking for money."  You are teaching folks (who might not know otherwise) to pay God first.

A teachable moment...

And I would share a comment.  Yes she is right.  What ever you give to God, give it first.  The first check that you write when you get paid, should be to our Father.  It is a way to honor him and to remember that everything that we have is from him.

It's a beautiful day in God's world, be sure to see the good.

No comments: