Monday, April 15, 2013

pain

There is something that I have noticed about pain.  You tend to get used to it.  Or, should I say, you can get used to it if you want to.

We can fight every pain that comes along and make ourselves miserable, or we can learn to relax and make friends with the pain.  This is true of most body pain and heart pain.  By heart pain I don't mean a heart attack, I mean a general sense of sadness.  Heart pain.

Consider this story........The first time I twisted my ankle, it hurt and I thought I would not live.  I complained to my mother.  I limped for a week.  The second time I twisted it, it hurt and I limped for a few days, I still complained to my mother.  The third time, I limped for a day and did not tell my mother.  Now I am old.  I still twist that same ankle.  I try not to limp.  I don't want the attention.  Most people would never know.

My kid twisted their ankle the other day.  They are complaining and limping.  That is ok, they will learn.  In time, you can make friends with all kinds of pain.  Body pain and heart pain.  You can fight it and make every moment a misery, or you can look past the clouds and see the sky.

It's a beautiful day in God's world, be sure to see the good.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

So is this anything like "grin and bear it?" Whatever the case, you are still the consummate teacher, even about pain.