Wednesday, April 10, 2013

to agree


To agree

GK Chesterton would disarm his opponents by agreeing with them when they attacked him personally.

So, to the ones who have said, Jeff you sometimes make very bad decisions, Jeff you sometimes misbehave, Jeff you sometimes are not there for me, Jeff you sometimes are hard to understand, Jeff you sometimes lead us down painful paths, Jeff you don’t pay enough attention to me, Jeff you take afternoon naps, Jeff you have been married before, Jeff you have made a number of painful blunders over the years, Jeff you don’t preach enough Bible, Jeff you are not conservative enough, Jeff you are not accessible, Jeff you did not come to see me in the hospital……….

And I am sure there is more, but just let me say.  You are right.  I am all of those things.  Everything that you have said is true.  But let me also say, that I am working very hard at being a good human being, a good pastor and a faithful Christian.  I do fall short in many ways, but please be assured that I am pursuing the path persistently.

It’s a beautiful day in God’s world, be sure to see the good.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jeff, I've noticed there have been no comments to your posts lately, so just to let you know someone is out here reading them, I'm sending a comment! To the one today, all I can say is "phoey". I would rather list ALL the amazing things that you and our church do for all of us. Maybe those that find fault need to walk in your shoes for a day! Thank you Jeff for all do for all of us!

Anonymous said...

Jeff, you are such a good thinker about the reality of what Scripture really says. I'd love to hear your comment on one of your own statements in this morning's post.

"I'm working very hard at being a good human being." I think you are already a good human being because Jesus lives in you. He is goodness, redemption, and forgives us before we even fall short of what other human beings expect."

Criticism, and those who love to share it without thinking how it hurts, will always be with us. But Jesus will always be in you, so you're very very good.

I doubt that many people know how much criticism hurts most people, including you. People who wouldn't think of injuring another person physically, often don't hesitate to injure someone with words. I pray that they will reach a little higher.

Have a beautiful day. You are a beautiful person, because of Him.

Anonymous said...

Wow I always like to see when a Pastor can admit short-comings and knows that he isn't perfect even today. Makes me even more willing to try out your church. Thanks for today's entry!

Anonymous said...

Although the publics & most congregations perception & thought process is that their preacher or leader should be perfect. This is unfortunate & unfair. I prefer to know you as I have for the few short years as not perfect, not on a pedestal, with faults, just as human as the rest of us. I realized this one Sunday morning when i visited WCC & the particular message you delivered that day referenced something you did that wasnt perfect. You had me at that message by publicly saying (in other words) you are not perfect like the rest of us. You are our leader, that doesn't mean you have to be perfect. I love you just the way you are. I have your back.

Anonymous said...

You are the real deal and we love you! 'nuff said!