Monday, September 30, 2013

Bicycle trek

I have been keeping my eye out for a used bicycle.  I am looking for a hybrid with a 23" frame.  I saw one on Craig's list.  A beautiful bike, in great shape for $50.  Wow.  I am in.  It will be in a garage sale on a certain day.

I tried to contact the seller to purchase the bike before the garage sale, but they did not reply to my Craig's list email.  So I drove all the way across town to get there when the garage sale opened on the first day.  I was there at 8:30am sharp.  I enquired about the bike.  The home owner told me that the first person there bought it five minutes ago.  Sorry.

I should have been disappointed.  I was a little.  But I had been working on my brain.  The whole way out there I prepared myself for the inevitable.  Finding a bike like this for $50 would be a miracle.  The traffic was bad and it slowed me down a bit.  I missed the opportunity, but I was ok, because I lowered my expectations.

Sometimes we need to raise our expectations, and sometimes we need to lower them and relax.  Imagine if we got mad every time we did not win power ball.  Life is good, even when someone else gets the good bargain on the bicycle.  Life is good even when someone else wins power ball.  After all, when you compare our lives to our friends in Los Pinos, Nicaragua, we have already won the lottery.

It's a beautiful day in God's world, be sure to see the good.

1 comment:

Dave Templeman said...

Oddly enough, I am on the same quest. I am exchanging my road bike for a hybrid. I think it will be better in the long run to go buy one at Bike Stop and make sure I can ride the one I buy long distance without the pain my road bike is causing.