Saturday, September 21, 2013

in a hurry

Last week we were on vacation.  I was driving on highway 1, the California coastal highway.  There are signs: "slow traffic use turnouts."  I understand this.  The highway department understands that some people want to sight-see and drive slowly while others are driving and trying to get somewhere.

I am sightseeing.  I am taking my time.  It is beautiful.  I am stopping to take pictures.  I am the tourist.

Well, don't you know, a guy comes rushing up behind me.  He is on my tail.  He must get by me and hurry on his way.  He is driving very aggressively.  I pull over at the next turnout and let him by.  He guns it and rushes by.  He rushes by me, to the next car which is about 50 yards ahead.  So, he is behind another slow driver.  In fact, there are five or six slower drivers in line.  The pace is just slow.  It was Saturday.  He was stuck and you know that he hated it.

Here is the thing that I find so sad about this:  Why would you ever be in a hurry on that road?  If you lived near such beauty, wouldn't you stand in awe of it ever single day?  [pause for a moment please and think about that.]   If you lived in such a beautiful place, wouldn't you stand in awe of it every day?

And then I remember that I live in Kansas City.  A beautiful town in it's own right.  I drive by things every day that are miracles of God, and I don't even notice.

Maybe, after all, I am the same as the guy who was in a hurry on highway 1.

It's a beautiful day in God's world, be sure to see the good.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Love it that you got to enjoy California. Any thoughts of someday heading there to live, after retirement?

The coast, the surf, the ocean, the beach. Nature and creation at its best.