Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Christmas

I was at Costco on Sunday September 8th.  They have Christmas items out for sale.  When I was a kid, you never saw Christmas in the stores until the day after Thanksgiving.  Little by little, year after year, it has crept earlier and earlier.

I know that the stores are just trying to make money.  I know that Christmas may account for 60% of some store's annual income.  My problem is with what this practice says about the rest of the year. 

Does September count for nothing?  Is October a worthless month?  November useless?  Is the only month that counts in the year December?  Should we spend 3 months thinking about Christmas gifts?  Personally, I am not going to look at the stuff.  They have wasted their time as far as I am concerned.

I want to enjoy September for what it is.  I want to celebrate October for fall and November for Thanksgiving.  Every month, every day, every moment is a miracle in and of itself and we should never waste today, looking forward to tomorrow.

Today is a beautiful day in God's world, be sure to see the good.

No comments: