Saturday, September 7, 2013

the flag

I was watching a show on CNN about a 3 x 5 flag that was raised on 9/11.  It was a good show.  It brought back very many painful memories.  I was not blogging back then, but if I had been, the things that I felt and expressed would have been very  painful.

What a horrible event this was for our country.  At the time, my Dad was still alive.  I called and asked him if Pearl Harbor was like this.  He said, "no, this is worse because Pearl Harbor was military on military.  This was an attack on innocent civilians."

I told Dad that I hoped that he would come to church the following Sunday.  At the time we were running 700 in worship.  He could barely get around.  I will never forget seeing him wander in the back door with his plaid shirt and suspenders.  It made me feel so much better, so supported.  Over 1,000 attended the first Sunday after 9/11.  Like many things in life, the feelings waned and worship went back to it's previous levels.

Anyway, this show on CNN about the flag, took me back to the day.  And it hurt, and it hurts and we must put our trust in God.  In times of pain, He is the only one who can hold us.  When life hurts, we have one place to go.  I am sure glad that God is there.

It's a beautiful day in God's world, be sure to see the good.

No comments: