Sunday, September 1, 2013

buying trouble

I am sure that I am not the only person that does this.  A problem is detected, and my brain often makes it bigger than it should be.

I have an argument with an adult child.  Then I sit around and worry about it.  I stress because it is painful.  I have "bought trouble."  I have imagined it to be bigger than it really is.  Usually what happens is that they walk in later and we patch it up.

A person has a pain in their abdomen.  They are immediately concerned that they have cancer.  They bought trouble.  In almost every instance, a pain in the abdomen does not mean that I have cancer.

We worry too much.  We are not very good at dealing with pain.  We expect our lives to be pain free.  When you think about that, that is a little bit funny.  Into each life a little bit of rain must fall.

I think the trick is to keep working on learning that life is always going to have its angst.  Take it, live with it and trust in God.  Gosh if life was perfect, would we need to trust in God?  Maybe our problems push us toward his loving arms.

It's a beautiful day in God's world, be sure to see the good.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Such a human trait. God surely muses at our worries and concerns, when He's right there all the time.

In addition to having a good talk with self and saying "self, have you even thought of trusting God with this?" How about also writing down the concern, sticking it in an envelope and deciding you deal with the worry one year later. When you open the envelope in a year, you and God will probably both be smiling.

I love Dale Carnegie's wisdom in his book about "How To Stop Worrying and Start Living." He said that most of the things we worry about never happen anyway.