Friday, November 21, 2014

pastors tenure

By every account that I read, the average stay of a Pastor is somewhere between 2.4 and 3.6 years, but certainly not longer than 4 years.  I think about this from time to time- and wonder if I may have out stayed my usefulness.

I have been at Woods Chapel a long time.  20 years, 5 months and 12 days to be exact.  I have loved every minute of it ... mostly. 

There were a couple of years that we took a vote on whether or not the pastor should continue another year........ those were nervous moments.  Somewhere along the way, we stopped doing that.  I do think that there are folks that attend our church who wish we would reinstate the voting.

What I have noticed is that people do vote with their feet.  When they are done with Jeff or done with Woods Chapel, they move on.  This is always so very difficult.  Because I love every person that attends here and I want everyone to stay.  I want us to reach every person that we can.

Please do me a favor.  If you are thinking about leaving, for any reason, please send me a note.  Let's talk it through.  Even if we can't resolve what the problem is, I want you to know that I care very much.

We are on track to receive a record number of new members this year.  But I don't want to lose you.

It's a beautiful day in God's world, be sure to see the good.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jeff, the fact that this is happening is as old as church history in anyone's church.

I'm thinking back to your message at Susan Jackson's funeral. She was such an amazing woman. Wish I could have known her and experienced who she was, for a long time.

You mentioned that through thick and thin, and many changes at WCC, Susan just hung in there. From hearing about her life, I've concluded that she not only weathered the ups and downs of life and of church, but she always bounced right back up, spreading her joy, her faith, and her effervescent smile.

Some people have and always will, on this earth, get disgruntled and make a change. They do it in work, they do it in churches, and sadly even in family life. That won't change.

However, what also doesn't seem to change is that the voices of dissent and negative feelings that some people go through, always seem bigger and more present than all the Susans who hang in there and don't complain.

To me this is true at WCC. And sometimes if people stay on and are unhappy, they tend to spread their unhappiness to others. Not always good.

I visited with a long time friend yesterday, who attends a local church in the area. Their little group of about 50 people is unhappy with the pastor. So they are thinking of leaving as a whole group. Sad that people do church that way, when we all have so much to be thankful for. I wished my friend and her "group" could have traveled to Nicaragua with our church group this week. It surely would have given them a new perspective.

I would encourage you to hang in there and think about the many voices you do not hear from.

Marcie Gragg,Troop Committee Chair said...

Jeff, if I were not committed to playing with the worship teams nearly every week in the Worship Center, I would vote with my feet too...by walking into the Sanctuary to hear your messages and get to greet you each week, that is. With all that's on our plates, Steve and I just can't stay for the 11:15 service and we both feel led to serve and worship in the Worship Center. Steve and I really miss you and the special, deeply personal way you speak in worship. Blessings to you!