Saturday, August 15, 2015

how many weeks in a row

Last Sunday, I was at church, but not preaching.  Anytime this happens, I get complaints.  "If you are here Jeff, why aren't you preaching?"

Many churches have Sundays where the Central Methodist College Choir or some other group sings.  Many churches have associates that preach once per month.  That gives them an opportunity to preach, and the Sr Pastor a break.

Preaching week after week is exhausting, exhausting to the soul.  To have something ready that is heartfelt and moving is very difficult to do week after week.  When you are a preacher it feels like Sunday comes 3 times per week.  This is why I insists that our associates that are preaching in our various venues do not preach more than 3 times per month.  I am trying to take care of their souls.

From June 14 thru Aug 2, I preached eight weeks in a row.  So on the 9th, last Sunday, I was here, but not preaching.  Actually, we recorded the sermon on Thursday that was played in the Worship Center on Sunday Aug 2.  So I didn't deliver it live, but I did prepare a sermon.  My point is this, a preacher needs a break from time to time for their souls to catch up.

I will be preaching tomorrow, the Lord willing.

It's a beautiful day in God's world, be sure to see the good.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

No worries. There are several hundred folks who don't complain and are glad Jeff gets a break now and then. I'm focusing on the non-complainers.