Sunday, September 17, 2017

I have a bike with pegs


During the hurricane, several of you sent notes and said that you had room for us at your place.  Thank you.

I read one of these kind notes of invitation and it reminded me of something that we did in church probably 10 years ago.  The sermon was about seeing others and really caring for them.  I picked a "volunteer" out of the crowd.  I had them stand up with me at the front as I described a hypothetical situation where they had broken down on the side of the road.  Then I encouraged the crowd to see people and care for them.  I asked them, if they were really willing to help others, to come up during the closing song and give their phone number to the person standing next to me.  That way he or she would have someone to call if they really did break down on the side of the road.

I was astonished at the response.  It was overwhelming.  In every service, I'll bet 75% of the people came up and gave the person their phone number.  There were more pieces of paper than the person could hold.

One of the people standing next to me in one of the services was my dear friend Dan Horn.  I love him and I miss him.  Dan called me later that day to tell me how many phone numbers he had.  It was in the hundreds.  He said one note stood out to him- it was from a 12 year old boy named Brandon who wrote, "I am not old enough to drive, but I have a bike with pegs."

I love it.  I was so proud of the young man and the spirit of Christian charity that lives so strongly in so many.

Who would you give your phone number to in case they needed help?  Do you have a bike with pegs?

It's a beautiful day in God's world, be sure to see the good.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love your posts, Jeff!! Every.single.day. kbv

Anonymous said...

I have a bike n will remember this