Tuesday, November 28, 2017

bitterness

For years when I was active in full time ministry I wanted to preach on this scripture, but I could never bring myself to do it. I did not want to be the guy who was calling people out from the pulpit.  

So many times I would hear of someone in the congregation that was unhappy with me or something that I did. They would wander around and tell their friends and anyone who would listen how upset they were with me. It poisoned the waters. It hurt my soul. People have no idea what damage they do when they are spewing negativity around. I often thought of this passage and how I wish the unhappy people could find the joy and see the good.

See to it that no one falls short of the grace of God and that no bitter root grows up to cause trouble and defile many.   Hebrews 12:15

When we are negative our bitterness spews into others. Trouble is caused and others are defiled. God's family becomes dysfunctional. I am not saying that there isn't a time to complain, but our complaints should be done with kindness and grace.

Is your voice a blessing to others? Is your voice a blessing in your church?

It's a beautiful day in God's world, be sure to see the good.
Send replies to jsbrink57@gmail.com








I am leading some trips in 2018. If you are interested in reading about them, or joining in, the links are below.....

Holy Land via Jordan
March 5-14 2018
http://www.eo.travelwithus.com/tours/hl18-brinkman-030518j-17768#eotours

Wesley's Ireland
October 8-17, 2018
http://www.eo.travelwithus.com/tours/wesley-in-ireland-2018-with-rev-jeff-brinkman#eotours

No comments: