Wednesday, January 10, 2018

heart work

Kingdom work is heart work.  Not hard work, heart work.  The kingdom that Jesus introduced boils down to this:  Loving God and Loving Others.  You can have a more expansive mission or vision statement like....

You matter to God and Us
or
Connecting People to Jesus Christ
or
Making Disciples of Jesus Christ for the transformation of the world.

But all such statements boil down to loving God and loving others.

Our mission is not adopting schools.  Our mission is not feeding the homeless.  Our mission is not in Cuba, Russia or Nicaragua.  Our mission is not toys for kids at Christmas.

Our mission is loving God and loving others.

We adopt schools, feed people and buy toys because we love God and love others.  Loving God and others is the cause, programs are the effect.

Many churches feed people and collect toys, but have not love.  Remember what Paul said about that in 1 Cor 13.  The mission is a heart thing first.  It is heart work. 

The nice thing about that idea as far as I am concerned is this.... if my mission is to give toys to kids, or care for orphans in Russia, then I live my life and do my thing as I see fit, interrupting my life to be in mission with toys and orphans.  But if my mission is loving God and loving others, it is all the time... 24 hours a day.  I am, we are, never off mission.  We no longer interrupt our lives to be in mission, our lives truly become a mission for God.

Kingdom work = heart work.

It's a beautiful day in God's world, be sure to see the good.
Send replies to jsbrink57@gmail.com







I am leading some trips in 2018. If you are interested in reading about them, or joining in, the links are below.....

Holy Land via Jordan
March 5-14 2018

Wesley's Ireland
October 8-17, 2018

3 comments:

QMan said...

It seems so simple. It is easy to love the people one agrees with. The challenge is to love the ones not like you. Jesus made it so simple. Boy I make it so hard and complex.
I challenge myself everyday to treat people the way I would like to be treated, with love and care.

Anonymous said...

Words to live by ... every.single.minute. Thank you for sharing this!

Unknown said...

I’m with Paul..... why is something so basic... so hard