Friday, March 2, 2018

Be Still

A friend sent this in..........................

Be Still
“Be Still, and know that I am God”.  I have seen this Bible verse a lot lately, so I have stopped to take a closer look at it. 
We all lead noisy, cluttered lives.  I think back, and the older I was, the busier I became.  In school, it was studying, attending class, outside activities, part time job, friends, church activities.  College was even more hectic.  Then, marriage and children added even more to my busy days.  Why do we feel like we are “lazy” if we sit down to rest?  (I still feel this way!!)  My current typical day is jumping out of bed at 5am, leaving for work at 6am, with an hour drive to work.  Many times my lunch breaks even have activity- workouts in our company gym, meetings, or appointments outside the bank.  Off work at 4:30, an hour plus drive home.  Sometimes activities or appointments after work.  If I come home and just sit down, there are so many things I feel I should be doing (laundry, dishes, cooking, preparing clothes, lunch for the next day).  When exactly, are we supposed to “be still”?  Last weekend, my husband and I spent four amazing days watching our two granddaughters, ages 2 and 6.  There was much activity, playing, eating, taking the 6 year old to her basketball game, baths, etc.  I also wanted to keep up with laundry and keep everything as tidy as possible.  But the second day, the 2-year-old was not feeling well.  She just needed to snuggle with Nana.  And you know what?  NOTHING ELSE MATTERED.  Nothing.  No crumbs on the floor, no toys on the floor, nothing else was more important.  I actually was fine with being still, to just BE where I needed to BE.  And, it was wonderful.  How many times should we let the dishes go (for a bit) and just spend TIME with our loved ones?  How many times should we let the laundry go (for a bit) and just spend time in the quiet.  Those are the times when God speaks to us, if we just listen.  Those are the times when we bond with our grandchildren.  Those are the times we grow in our faith and in love.  Even if you have to schedule it in, pencil it into your calendar.  Be Still.  And know that this is what God desires.  What could be more important?
S.G.

No comments: