Wednesday, March 28, 2018

self-serving

The root of sin is the self.  identify anything in your life that feels like sin and you can be sure that your own, my own selfishness is there on display.  Even sometimes seemingly good things get tainted by self interest.

This is why Jesus said to pray in your closet.  Don't make a big show of your giving.

I once had a man at church that said, "I have given so much money to this church over the years, I should have my own parking place with my name on a sign."  The self, and it is not pretty.

So during the Super Bowl there was a Hyundai commercial.  Buy one of our cars and we will give $50 to childhood cancer research.  Really???  A little self interest there huh?  Spend $25,000 on a car and we will donate $50. 

Oddly, I can no longer find this commercial online, but there are several other very good Hyundai commercials.  I'm not dissing on their cars, it just seemed odd to me that if you spent 25K, then we would make a donation.

Most of our problems in life are self-induced.
Let's keep working on getting ourselves out of the way.

It's a beautiful day in God's world be sure to see the good.
Send replies to jsbrink57@gmail.com



- - - - - - - - -

I am leading some trips in 2018. If you are interested in reading about them, or joining in, the links are below.....

4 Night cruise from Port Canaveral to Key West and Havana, Cuba.
August 13-17, 2018

Wesley's Ireland with optional London Extension
October 8-17, 2018

No comments: