Wednesday, April 4, 2018

A Christmas Tale

I was in seminary, the youth directory at First Methodist in Bixby, Oklahoma.  Since I was a paid employee, I was required to be in church on Christmas Eve for the 11pm candlelight service.  That was a bit sad, it was the first of many Christmas Eve's that I would lose my family time to church time.  Welcome to being an employee of the church.

Anyway, I would simply wake up Christmas morning and drive the 260 miles home to Kansas City.  And so that journey began on Christmas day 1981.  I got up about 7am and packed up the 1974 Ford Maverick.  I headed up to I-44 and turned north.  Somewhere near Miami, Oklahoma, the dash board temperature light came on.  Now I know enough about cars to know that you don't drive a care when it is overheated, so I pulled over on the side of the highway. 

I grabbed what I could carry and started to walk, and to hitchhike.  It started to rain so I stopped under an over pass.  It wasn't long until an 18 wheeler stopped and picked me up.  I don't remember the man's name but he took me to the truck stop on the west side of Joplin, MO.  Evidently the trucker was a regular there.  He took me inside and told the manager what was going on with me.  The manager called a local mechanic.  On Christmas day, the mechanic left his family, fired up his tow truck and hauled my car to his shop.  In ten minutes he had diagnosed the problem:  water pump.

He called the local auto parts store manager.  I don't remember this man's name either, but he left his family on Christmas day, opened his store and handed the mechanic a water pump for a 1974 Ford Maverick.  I asked him how much it was.  He told me that I could pay the mechanic.

Back then motors were easier to work on.  The mechanic had the pump in and operational in a jiffy.  I asked him how much the bill was.

He said, "no charge.  Merry Christmas."

I drove home to Kansas City, arriving around dinner time.  Back then, being young, I barely realized what had happened.  But over the years I have thought more about that story.  I have thought about how 3 guys that didn't know me from Adam went out of their way to help me.  Two of them interrupted their Christmas with their families to help me.  They didn't charge me anything.

May we all be willing to interrupt our lives to help someone in need, and as we are able, may we tell them, "no charge."

Kindness is it's own reward.

It's a beautiful day in God's world be sure to see the good.
Send replies to jsbrink57@gmail.com



- - - - - - - - -

I am leading some trips in 2018. If you are interested in reading about them, or joining in, the links are below.....

4 Night cruise from Port Canaveral to Key West and Havana, Cuba.
August 13-17, 2018

Wesley's Ireland with optional London Extension
October 8-17, 2018

No comments: