Tuesday, April 3, 2018

relic

rel·ic

/ˈrelik/

noun
  • 1.an object surviving from an earlier time, especially one of historical or sentimental interest.synonyms:artifacthistorical objectancient objectantiquityantique
Powered by Oxford Dictionaries



Lately I have felt like a relic. And I don't mean the kind that are worshiped like the shroud of Turin or a piece of the cross.

I have felt like someone whose thoughts, ideas and dreams are yesterday's news.


You know, when I was young, I had a tool box full of ideas that I just wanted to try out on the church world. I got the chance to do that in places like Princeton, Mercer and Lee's Summit. And I learned a lot along the way. After the kids entered college I became a voracious reader, devouring just about anything that I could get my hands on. Now it seems like so long ago.


When I left Kansas City for Florida, I received a couple of nice compliments. One of them was, "thanks for not being the guy who stayed 5 years too long." I guess that is good, but sometimes I sure miss those days.


It was exciting and fun to be the young, emerging guy with young children and a brain full of ideas. It was delightful to start on the journey of ministry, play softball, and dream great dreams.
Now I am on the other side of life. My children will tell you that they still need me, but it is certainly not like before. My softball days are limited to playing catch with Bruce Letner when he comes to visit. My muscle mass is in steep decline. My left eye is noticeably drooping. My ideas are a part of yesterday's news. What was touted and held up on yesterday's front page, no longer makes the paper.


And so it goes. Yesterday always gives way to today and today will at some point give way to tomorrow.


Years ago when I was young, I worked for a pastor that was near retirement. One time he said to me, "you young guys think you know everything about running a big church." At the time I thought, "yes, more than you evidently do." That thought was a bit arrogant, but I think we showed the world that we could make a difference.


It is odd to feel like I no longer make a difference. I am marking time, sitting in God's waiting room.


A relic. A memory of a day gone by. I think that is why many people like to go on trips with me. It reminds us of the good old days.


A relic. And that is ok. Our 20's give way to our 30's and our 30's to our 40's and so on. I would much rather have had this journey than to not have had it. Many of my friends did not live into their 60's. It has been a privilege, a joy, and quite a ride. Even when I get down, I have to remind myself that I would not have missed this for the world.


And so I need to work harder on seeing the good of being on this side of it all. And there is plenty of good. I have time. Time to pray, time to think, time to remember and time to love. I clean the garage, trim the palms and wash off the pool deck. I make friends with every server and have learned the name of the man who runs the local dump. I love the folks at Ft. Pierce FUMC and it is nice to not have all the worries that I had when I was young.


Sometimes getting older and moving on hurts, but there are a lot of good things about it as well. May God give us the ability to appreciate the good parts of this end of the journey.

It's a beautiful day in God's world be sure to see the good.
Send replies to jsbrink57@gmail.com



- - - - - - - - -

I am leading some trips in 2018. If you are interested in reading about them, or joining in, the links are below.....

4 Night cruise from Port Canaveral to Key West and Havana, Cuba.
August 13-17, 2018

Wesley's Ireland with optional London Extension
October 8-17, 2018
http://www.eo.travelwithus.com/tours/wesley-in-ireland-2018-with-rev-jeff-brinkman#.WqHrI7puLIU





2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I miss my old relics too. My 68 Camaro, my albums played all the way through each song, my chuck taylors, patches on my tough skin jeans, my grandpas row boat, finding my way on a paper map..... and my old pastor and friend.

SC

Anonymous said...

On the contrary, you make a difference in my life every single day through your blog. Thank you for writing it and putting your feelings out there for us. I wish you were closer and we could all surround you so you would KNOW how much we love you and your wise words.