Saturday, April 28, 2018

Stan Hartzler

Welcome to one of my horror stories, from the file of life regrets.  Jeff was a jerk.

I was a Senior in college.  We were playing intramural flag football.  No pads, no helmets, just young men crashing into each other.  Our floor SC2N was playing our rivals SC2S.  We had scouted them and knew the kind of plays that they liked to run.  One of them was a student body right, a sweep around the end.  I was the outside linebacker.

So we are in the heat of the game and here comes the sweep to my side.  In high school, the football coach taught us to take out the lead blocker and then go for the tackle.  So for some reason that I still struggle with, I did to Stan Hartzler, what I did to the opposing team in high school.  Only in this game there was no protection.

I hate to tell you what I did, but here it is.... I was going right through him to get to the ball carrier.  Along the way my forearm met his mouth.  He dropped like a stone.  I made the tackle. Stan made a trip to the ER.

Later that night there was a knock on my dorm room door.  It was Stan.  He wanted me to see what I had done to him.  His teeth had gone through his front lip.  6 stitches.  I felt like a complete jerk.  I was a complete jerk.  I told him that I was very sorry.

If you know someone named Stan Hartzler, I would love to apologize again.  Not my best moment.

It's a beautiful day in God's world be sure to see the good.
Send replies to jsbrink57@gmail.com

- - - - - - - - -
I am leading some trips this year and next. If you are interested in reading about them, or joining in, the links are below.....

4 Night cruise from Port Canaveral to Key West and Havana, Cuba.
August 13-17, 2018
http://www.eo.travelwithus.com/tours/cc18081318h17768#eotours

Wesley's Ireland with optional London Extension
October 8-17, 2018
http://www.eo.travelwithus.com/tours/wesley-in-ireland-2018-with-rev-jeff-brinkman#.WqHrI7puLIU

Holy Land Tour - includes my favorite spots
with optional Jerusalem extension
March 4-13, 2019
http://www.eo.travelwithus.com/files/uploads/HL19_G_Explorations.pdf

No comments: