Wednesday, August 28, 2019

Sitting with my Dad

Late in my Dad's life I would meet him for lunch once a month at Romanelli's at 71st and Wornall.  He knew the servers there because he ate lunch and dinner there every day.  He actually died in the parking lot there on February 2nd 2002.

Anyway, he liked Romanelli's because when he was 18 he rode the streetcar there and had his first beer.  First of many.

So I would meet dad for lunch.  I remember one time, Probably 1999 when we were in the throes of building and moving into a new church, I met dad for lunch.  I was stressed.  I sat down across from him in the booth and I said, "Dad, I am so glad to see you."

Being with him made me feel ok.  It made me feel safe.  It made me feel whole.

Dad said, you know son, I am 72 years old, and still there are days that I wish I could go sit down with my mom and dad at their kitchen table.

These days, I wish I could go to Romanelli's and meet my dad for lunch.  I wish I could go and sit at his table.  The adult world can get very complicated and very stressful.

I miss my Dad.  Someday I will see him again.

It's a beautiful day in God's world be sure to see the good.
Send replies to jsbrink57@gmail.com

- - - - - - - -

I am leading a trip to Ireland next year. If you are interested in reading about it, or joining in, the link is below.....

Treasures of Ireland
July 13-22, 2020

No comments: