Tuesday, August 27, 2019

Sundays when I was a kid

My friend SG asked me to write about Sundays when I was a kid...

When I was a kid, Sundays were for church.  We got dressed up [white shirt and tie.  I hated it.] and the whole family went, unless Dad was working [which was about 50% of the time.]

We went to church and sat in the pews.  We sang the liturgy.  Holy holy holy Lord God almighty... During the sermon the lights were turned down.  Good time to sleep.

No stores were open on Sunday.  That changed when I was 30.  But back in the day, you better get what you need on Saturday, because Sunday was the Lord's day.

Mom always made a big Sunday dinner.  Usually fried chicken and mashed taters.  Mmmmm.

One Sunday for whatever reason, my Mom made grilled cheese for lunch.  I complained.  My Dad asked if I did not want to eat the grilled cheese.  I said, NO!  He sent me to my room.  I sat there for 6 hours until dinner time, 6pm.  Then he knocked on the door and asked me if I wanted to eat dinner.  I said, yes sir.  I got to the table and that cold grilled cheese was still there.  I ate it with joy.

We only had one TV and it belonged to Dad, so Sunday afternoon we played outside.  Soccer, football, baseball, snow sledding, whatever, always something.  No watching sports on TV, we played them for real.

Sunday night was the wonderful world of Disney.  We all sat around and watched it together.  It was probably the closest thing to feeling like a family that I ever knew.

These days on Sunday I go to church and hug my friends.  I try to make new friends.  My wife makes lunch.  We float in the pool.  Later we have a beer and watch football.

Sunday's have changed, but Sundays are still good.

It's a beautiful day in God's world be sure to see the good.
Send replies to jsbrink57@gmail.com

- - - - - - - -

I am leading a trip to Ireland next year. If you are interested in reading about it, or joining in, the link is below.....

Treasures of Ireland
July 13-22, 2020


No comments: