Monday, August 12, 2019

why people do bad things

Why do people rob banks?  Why do people shoplift?  Why is there road rage?  Why all the mass shootings?

One word =  selfishness.

When I was a kid we had the selfishness beat out of us.  The community mores demanded that people treat each other with respect.  Open the door for a lady.  Yes Sir, Yes Ma'am.  I would have never called an adult by their first name.  Only juvenile delinquents would consider doing the wrong thing.

Well, in the last 50 years, the community mores, the essential customs and conventions of society have changed a bunch.  We have become a me first  bunch.  We have dumbed down the education system and lost the value of hard work.

When those things go, we easily make it about ourselves and selfishness becomes rampant.

I will drive however I want.  I will take whatever I want.  I will hate whomever I want.... and on it goes.

I don't know how to change the mores of society, but I know that it is important for us to model love instead of selfishness.  Work hard.  Work first, play second.  Respect everyone.  Hold the doors for the ladies and the men.

We can't fix everyone, but we can make sure that we are not a part of the problem.

It's a beautiful day in God's world be sure to see the good.
Send replies to jsbrink57@gmail.com

- - - - - - - -

I am leading a trip to Ireland next year. If you are interested in reading about it, or joining in, the link is below.....

Treasures of Ireland
July 13-22, 2020
http://www.eo.travelwithus.com/tours/ir20071320a17768#eotours

No comments: