Monday, April 27, 2020

a special day in my life


I was asked recently to tell about one of the best days in my life.  While I believe that every day is a good, special and a beautiful day, there are a few that stand out.  This is the story of one day in April 1989.

I was ordained in 1984.  Five years later I was divorced and out of the ministry.  After working at a bank for a couple of years, I took a job as the youth and education guy at St. John's UMC on Ward Parkway.  During that year, I got to know other pastors and the district superintendent Elroy Hines.  Elroy was very interested in getting me back into the pastor role.  But there was a problem.  I was ordained in Oklahoma, but was now living in Missouri - two different conferences.  Back then, if you were divorced, they thought that you were crazy.  Anyway, my credentials were in limbo.  Oklahoma held them but Missouri wanted to use me.  Missouri wanted to use me but they wanted Oklahoma to hold my credentials, that way if I was crazy, I would be Oklahoma's problem.

We were at a standstill.  Then on a Tuesday in April 1989 the phone rang.  Elroy Hines said, "Jeff, are you still interested in an appointment?  It would be minimum salary and out in the middle of nowhere.  Come into the office tomorrow I have two district superintendents that want to meet with you."

That Wednesday morning I walked into the Kansas City District office of the Methodist Church.  I told the secretary that I had an appointment with DS Elroy HInes.  She said, "well he is across the hall in the board room with the Bishop and the entire cabinet [all 16 district superintendents.]"  I sat down to wait.  After about 10 minutes, Elroy came out and asked me if I was willing to sit down with the entire cabinet.  I said, sure, if he took care of me.

This is a very very nervous moment for me, and a moment that I was not expecting.
Now Bishop W.T.  Handy was a large imposing black man with a very deep voice.  When I walked into the room, the Bishop stood up.  The 16 district superintendents followed as well.  Pointing to an empty chair at the end of the table, the Bishop said, "sit here son."

I went to the end of the table and sat down.  Everyone else sat down.  The Bishop said, "son, tell us your stooory."

And so with no warning or preparation that this was going to happen that day, I told my story.  Raised in the Lutheran church, my family left the church when I was 16.  I told about being a church vagabond for years.  Then College.  Marriage.  Seminary at Oral Roberts University [a very conservative place.]  I told them that I knew that ORU was a bit of a black mark on my record, but that the seminary was much more open that what one would expect.  Seminary in fact ruined my first marriage because it set my mind and heart away from fundamentalism and in a completely different direction.  Now a few years later I am remarried and have 2 young children.  I told the Cabinet that I would pass around the girl's pictures but it was probably not the best time.

Bishop Handy said, "let me see them babies."  So the pictures of Alli and Jenny went around the table.
I told them that I still felt called and that I would love to have another shot at being a pastor.
When I finished my life story, the bishop asked if there were any questions.  No, none.

I thanked them and drove to my job at St. Johns.  When I was walking in the door, the secretary, Julie Breckenridge, handed me the phone.
Hello?
Jeff, this is Elroy Hines.  I want you to know that Bishop Handy has already spoken to the Bishop in Oklahoma.  We are receiving your credentials.  You are back in the fold.  Tomorrow we want you to go to Lebanon to meet with the Pastor there about an associate position.

And the doors were open.
Two years in Lebanon.
Three years in Princeton and Mercer.
Twenty-two years at Woods Chapel.

All hinging on that one day.
A very special day in my life.

It's a beautiful day in God's world, be sure to see the good.
Send replies to jsbrink57@gmail.com



No comments: