Thursday, April 23, 2020

Wesley and the Porter

I love this story and I have thought of it many times over the last few weeks.

During John Wesley’s student days, a poor porter, whose job it was to carry people’s luggage, knocked on Wesley’s door one evening and asked to speak with him.
During their conversation, Wesley observed the man’s thin coat. It was a cold night, and Wesley suggested that he had better get another coat.
“This is the only coat I have,” the man replied, “and I thank God for it.”
Wesley asked the man if he had eaten and the man answered, “I have had nothing today but water to drink, but I thank God for that.”
Wesley, growing uneasy in the man’s presence, reminded him that he would have to leave soon or be locked out. “Then what would you thank God for?” Wesley asked.
“I will thank God,” replied the man, “that I have dry stones to lie upon.”
Wesley was deeply moved by the man’s sincerity and he said to him, “You thank God when you have nothing to wear, nothing to eat, and no bed to lie on. What else do you thank God for?”
The simple man replied, “I thank God that he has given me life, a heart to love him, and a desire to serve him.”
After the man had left with a coat from Wesley’s closet, some money for food, and words of appreciation for the witness he had made, Wesley wrote in his journal, “I shall never forget that porter. He convinced me there is something in religion to which I am a stranger.”

A person's outlook or perspective on life says everything about whether they are happy or sad.

It's a beautiful day in God's world, be sure to see the good.
Send replies to Jsbrink57@gmail.com

No comments: