Wednesday, April 15, 2020

Wrestling with God...

I read biblical history, archaeology, and translations of the text written by the people who lived around the Israelites, and so on. It probably sounds odd to you, but I think Christianity is the greatest mystery of all and reading about it from all perspectives helps me pursue what it all really means to me. I really was never very good at accepting what someone told me it meant. Usually they were just telling me something someone had told them.

Over the years I have waffled from being a devoted literalist, a chronic disbeliever, an atheist, a devout Christian, and several things in between. Some mornings my faith is strong. Sometimes it is MIA.

One of my favorite lines from a book is in The Stand by Stephen King. One of the main actors is called on by a woman claiming to be God's mouthpiece to perform a task. He responds by claiming he doesn't believe in God. The woman tells him, "That's ok, He believes in you." We're lucky that even in our most vacant moments, God believes in us, in you, and in me.

So I continue my pursuits even though I know at times it will really make me struggle with just what God is and who Christ was and what it all means. I've always thought that's what God really wants us to do: struggle with who he is. Jacob's name was changed to Israel because he wrestled with God. [Gen. 32] We become something more than what we were when we do the same.

And thinking about God makes me think about myself and how I fit in to it all, which is a good way of making me more kind and gracious in what I do and say.

Submitted by my friend Pat.

It's a beautiful day in God's world, be sure to see the good.

No comments: