Thursday, May 7, 2020

depression era

Several commented about the post about a Sunday drive.  One friend wondered if this was something that his parents learned in the "depression era."  That got me to thinking.  My parents grew up during the depression.  Times were different, very different.

Children were to be seen and not heard.
Dandelions were not weeds, but vegetables for dinner.
A rabbit or squirrel in the yard was not cute, but dinner.
You never talked back to your parents.
There were spankings and there was being "taken out behind the woodshed."
Clothes were homemade or hand me downs.
No one ever had new shoes.
You never complained.
People helped each other.
People fed each other.
Left overs were eaten.
Nothing was thrown away.
I remember my mother washing off aluminum foil and folding it for reuse.
There was, at least in my family, a general solemness about life.

Once when I was young, I was complaining about something.  My mother said, "You got shoes on your feet, a roof over your head, and three meals a day.  What the hell do you want?"  It took me years to understand that when she was young, she did not have those things.

So, pandemic or not, we really don't have much to complain about do we?
May we all focus more on what we have instead of what we don't have, what we have found instead of what we have lost.

It's a beautiful day in God's world, be sure to see the good.
Send replies to jsbrink57@gmail.com




No comments: