Tuesday, May 26, 2020

don't help the homeless

There are people that suggest that we should not help the homeless.  They are just going to buy a bottle of wine with the money. 

Well, let me ask you my dear friend, if you and I were going to spend a night under a bridge, wouldn't you want to have a bottle of wine?

When the homeless guys at our church wanted the church open earlier on Sundays so that they could shower, some thought it was a bad idea.

Sure, I guess you can help homeless people too much, but most people that I know, don't help enough.  Friends, it is much better to help one time too many, and be taken advantage of, then to not help enough and leave legitimate needs of God's people unmet.

I have written before about going to the park on Monday mornings with my friend Dick to deliver sandwiches to the homeless.

Every week, they say thank you.  And it is not an obligatory thank you, it is a sincere, THANK YOU!  Every week someone asks for two.  Every week when we ask, "Good morning, would you like a sandwich?"  Someone says, "OH, YES, PLEASE, I AM SO HUNGRY."  And you should see the looks in their eyes, it would break your heart.

Sure, there are fake homeless people that stand on the corner to collect money.  But don't let the few bad ones jade your heart from helping the needy.  There are many many needy, hungry people who live food scarce lives and I think we should help them much more than we do.

1 John 3:17 says,
If anyone has material possessions and sees a brother or sister in need but has no pity on them, how can the love of God be in that person?

It's a beautiful day in God's world, be sure to see the good.
Send replies to jsbrink57@gmail.com



No comments: