Monday, May 11, 2020

More Sunday Rides

My Friend Mike sent this in...

Your article about going for a drive made me wistful. When I was growing up, we would often go for a ride. It was a form of entertainment. Something affordable and a way to get out of the house. There was almost never anything new to see in our smallish town, but it was just a nice way to spend some time together. Sometimes on a hot summer evening, we would stop at the A&W drive-in for a cold root beer. That was special.

One of our neighbors had a black Labrador named Pepper, who walked around in a ragged sweatshirt. The family and Pepper would often go for a ride. Once in a while, they would come home, and Pepper would refuse to get out of the car. He wanted more ride. So everyone had to get back in the car and go until Pepper had enough ride.

I wonder if going for a ride was something my parents learned from their depression era life. They learned to appreciate simple things and knew that extended time spent with kids really mattered, even if it wasn't glamorous.

Now that I am old and my family is gone, I really appreciate them more than ever. How I miss them! How wonderful it would be to go for a ride again with them....

It's a beautiful day in God's world, be sure to see the good.
Send replies to jsbrink57@gmail.com


No comments: